Edesheim in the
Palatinate (Southern Wine Road)
Edesheim, which has about 2,400 residents, is an idyllic vine dresser town on the Southern Wine Road in the south Palatinate between Landau and Neustadt an der Weinstrasse. It is located at the eastern border of the Haardt hills on the meadow grounds of the Modenbach creek, embedded in a landscape, which is surrounded by gentle hills, wine gardens and fruit meadows. The climate there is so mild, that not only quality wine sorts are domiciled here, but also apricots, peaches, kiwis and figs. The widely known Edesheim wines ripen in the vineyards "Mandelhang", "Rosengarten", "Forst", "Schloss" and "Ordensgut".
Edesheim can prove a long town history. The settlement at the crossing point of former Roman streets was first documentary mentioned more than 1,200 years ago. Stony witnesses such as the two castles and the old post office station emphasizes its former importance. Especially worth seeing is the baronial episcopal water castle, but also the baroque parish church St. Peter and Paul. The second castle of Edesheim has the name Kupperwolfschlosschen.
Several ground findings prove that the clearly defined and bounded-off unified topographical area Edesheim in the Southern Palatinate was already populated in early times, at least since the Roman times. The most significant artifact is a Roman stone casket, which is 2,20 meters long and 0,80 meters wide. Besides this, rests of vessels, coins, a monument stone, a long knife and two spearheads from the Roman times were digged out. Platter graves with additional things from the Franconian times were found in the castle garden.
Edesheim was first documentary mentioned in the year 756 as a present to the Benedictine abbey Weissenburg in the Alsace. A second mentioning followed 32 years later in the so-called "Codex Laureshamensis", the documentary book of the south Hesse convent Lorsch. Over a long period of time, the masters of Ochsenstein owned the castle and the town Edesheim next to other towns as feud of the abbey Weissenburg, which had to be sold by the owners in 1371 because of the lack of money. In the end of the 15th century, the Benedictine abbey sold the town to the diocese Speyer. Since early times, Edesheim belonged to the diocese Speyer, the prince bishops of Speyer were the secular masters of the town from 1487 for over 300 years. They turned the 674-edes castle Palatinate into their office.
Edesheim remained unaffected by the new dogmatic theology of Martin Luther. Because the master appointed the religious denomination of his subjects in early times, the town remained Catholic even after the reformation time. In the peasants war (1525), Edesheim in the south Palatinate was not a particular consideration. But the Thirty Years' War (1618 to 1648) brought horrible misery over the town. During the wars of the 17th and 18th century, Edesheim also suffered again and again under the quarterings and requisitionens. Finally, towards the end of the Seven Years' War in 1763, a peacetime came over Edesheim and other towns, which lasted for more than 30 years.
As French revolution troops ravaged in Edesheim in the south Palatinate in 1794, they almost burned down the entire town, whereas not only a big part of the houses, but also the harvest and the breeding cattles were destroyed. Edesheim belonged to the office of mayor Edenkoben during the French occupation time. In 1816, the town with the entire left-sided Rhine River area, which belonged to the diocese of Speyer, became Bavarian. The Edesheim people could soon rebuild their houses with the help of the French war compensation. But the town not only lost a lot of old community centers, middle-class houses and other buildings, but also sank more and more into meaninglessness. Since no bigger industrial companies were built in Edesheim in the 19th and 20th century, the population did not increase that much either. The reorganization of the vineyard area began in 1936. The viniculture still represents one of the most important branches of industry today.
674-edes castle hotel Palatinate
The 674-edes castle hotel Palatinate in the south Palatinate was, just like the town, first documentary mentioned as a house in the year 756. It remained in ownership of the Benedictine abbey Weissenburg resp. its feud owners until the 15th century. The former water castle became office and episcopal administrative center after the sale to the diocese Speyer. It has been known since the construction of the water grounds. But it is presumed that it has already existed in the 12th century. In 1594, the castle was rebuilt into a renaissance castle. In 1794, the castle was destroyed to a large extent by the French revolution troops. In the course of the secularization, the diocese Speyer was disseized and the 674-edes castle hotel Palatinate became socialized. After that, it changed private ownership four times, before the site, which was in a totally scruffy state, was bought by the family Auracher in 1993 and restored. After the construction of two private apartments, a castle hotel also came into being as well as an open air theater with rebuilt castle ditch and lake stage. More about the chronicle and history of the 674-edes castle hotel Palatinate.
Today, the 674-edes
castle hotel Palatinate in the south Palatinate
consists of the four-storied main building and an extension of a building from the 19th century, which takes in the location of a manor house, that was
torn down in 1748. The site was surrounded by a water ditch in the Middle Ages, which
built the width of a pond. A draw bridge, which was replaced by a stone bridge in the 19th
century, lead across the ditch. In a further bend, a second ditch bordered the estate
building. Besides this, the castle was surrounded by a 2,000 meters long perimeter wall
from the 16th century. The rebuilt castle ditch, where a footpath runs along, builds the
scenery today together with the concert
stages in the lower castle courtyard. This is also where the castle festive performances take place in the summer and fall, which are popular far
beyond the borders of the region. The open air theater offers place
for about 900 people.
Castle hotel Palatinate, South Wine Road,
Edesheim Edenkoben Wine Road Weinstrasse Germany
castle hotel Palatinate, which is prized as a
4-star hotel, represents modern comfort in historical atmosphere. The stylishly furnished
hotel rooms and suites offer a cozy living atmosphere and personal well-being, no matter
if you are on a vacation, a conference or a family festivity such as a wedding
celebrations, baptism celebrations, birthday parties or any other jubilees in the castle.
The Kaisersaal (emperor hall) with an open fireplace and the Lieselotte-Stube (tavern) are
available as public rooms. Besides this, the castle hotel also has 3 meeting rooms for 10
to 100 people, a parlor for meetings, a festive cellar for about 250 people, a wine
tasting arch, a sun terrace and a sauna area. Excellent cuisines as well as selected wines
and sparkling wines from Edesheim resp. from the viniculture area South Wine Road take
care of the physical well-being. The wide ranging premises, which
belong to the castle, invite to leisure and for relaxing walks.
Parish church St. Peter and Paul
The Catholic parish church St. Peter and Paul was built between 1742 and 1744 as hall with a three-sided, closed choir in baroque style. The sturdily structured west tower was first attached in 1771 instead of an older one. In 1794, the God's house was partly destroyed by the cause of a fire incendiary, but it was rebuilt in 1811. In 1934, it became an expansion of a south side aisle and a south right angled house arm. You can get to the inside of the church through the north rococo portal, which is adorned by a figure of the holy Johannes Nepomuk. The flat ceiling and the furnishing originates from the time of the reconstruction during the beginning of the 19th century. A double-sided Immakulata (immaculate conception) from the second half of the 18th century stands on a wall corner south of the parish church.
Kuppelwolfschlosschen (small castle)
The so-called Kuppelwolfschlosschen was built in 1699 for the
well-known philosopher Hans Jakob Holbach (
1723 in Edesheim). It is a beautiful baroque construction with a high mansard roof.
© 2002-2018 |